In SharePoint 2016, Microsoft introduced the concept of hybrid approach, which acts like as a bridge between SharePoint online (SPO) and On-Premises SharePoint. Most of the talks are on Search Hybrid , but we can do much more than that. Below are some of the hybrid scenarios that is introduced in SharePoint 2016.
1. Hybrid App Launcher: Common location for new apps and helps you to navigate SharePoint on-premises and Office 365. In this On-Premises App launcher, users will have links to Office 365 Delve and Video apps, along with custom Office 365 tiles.
2. Document Collaboration: On-premises users will be able to integrate attachments stored on OneDrive for Business directly in their Outlook on the web clients.
3. Extranet Sites: Partners can connect directly to a members-only site in Office 365, without access to the corporate on-premises environment or any other Office 365 site. Office 365 Extranet sites can be accessed anywhere.
4. Search: Query issued by a user is distributed across on-premises and Office 365 returning a set of results from each location as discrete entities. For end users they will see results coming from On-premises as well as from SPO sites and shows in a single location.
5. Profile Redirection: Users are redirected to Office 365 user profile which is powered by Office Delve. This is to ensure hybrid users have a single place for their profile information.
Hope this blog is helpful. Please feel free to post your comments/questions below and I’ll be happy to help.