About Sonoma-Marin Area Rail TransitSonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) is the San Francisco Bay Area’s newest transportation option for travel, offering passengers with rail service in Sonoma and Marin counties. SMART’s initial 43 miles of rail corridor includes 10 stations while they plan to extend it to 70 miles of passenger rail service, connecting SMART passengers with jobs, education centers, retail hubs and housing along the Sonoma-Marin corridor, that also includes a bicycle-pedestrian pathway.
SMART has used Netwoven as it's strategic partner for over 5 years. Netwoven's offshore team has assisted SMART using its managed services program to provide support for its SharePoint environment. Netwoven consultants manage the environment, perform regular updates, and provide emergency support.
Active Directory Transitions
Netwoven has proven to be an outstanding partner in envisioning and implementing creative solutions for our Agency. They consistently deliver projects on time and on budget making planning much simpler. Netwoven’s reliability and expertise on multiple levels has enriched our relatively small IT staff’s ability to maintain a productive environment.
Dan HurlbuttIT Manager
Active Directory Transitions
Business Situation and Challenges
As a transportation company, SMART required a reliable, responsive and updated infrastructure to provide optimal services to public commuters. Their internal collaboration and infrastructure required constant monitoring and upkeeping so that their employees could focus on their main business – ‘Transportation’.
Netwoven has been a long-standing partner to SMART for almost a decade and stood all along their transitions from their Native On-premise Infrastructure to Hybrid Public Cloud Infrastructure. We have been successful in making key implementations and help achieve higher ROI for their Infrastructure costs in the following areas.
- Daily monitoring and weekly reporting
- Reducing downtime
- Issue assessment and resolution of SharePoint and multiple Active Directory servers
- On-demand or proactive upgrade of SharePoint platform
- Monthly patching of SharePoint farm Servers and multiple Active Directory servers patching
- Implementation of on-demand or proactive new technologies with features consultation and deployments
- DHCP and Primary Domain Controller (PDC) migration with scope, reservations, and leases
- PDC having operating system Windows 2012
- Presence of Multiple location wise Domain Controllers with Windows 2012 R2
- Issues with Directory sync in certain locations
- The risk for Time Sync issue with NTP
- Prepare and configure Windows Server 2016 and make it PDC
- Export DHCP from Old PDC to New Windows 2016 PDC with scope, reservations, and leases
- Domain and Forest Roles Migration from Old PDC to New Windows 2016 DC
- Demote Old PDC and Demote another DC as planned
- Upgrading functional level of new Windows 2016 DC
- Robust, up to date Active Directory infrastructure
- Upgraded Physical infrastructure for better business continuity.
- Getting rid of persistent issues with higher reliability and uptime.
- Enhanced Directory features now available to SMART IT